Friday, February 4, 2011

The Calm after the Storm

I don't know what it is with me and Wednesdays these past 2 weeks...last week was crazy and this week was too but in a different way! This week was had a huge snowstorm on Wednesday afternoon/evening. They were predicting up to 45 cm of snow! So much that they closed the University (which almost never happens unless it is a state of emergency!) at 12:30 pm to let everyone get home safely. It was a good call BUT that meant that my 2:30 pm lab was canceled! So I stayed home to nurse my developing head cold and watch the snow come down...
The first 15 cm fell before 4 pm and the snow just kept coming. While shoveling I was hoping that the University would be open on Thursday (I have 2 labs on Thursdays!) and I wouldn't have to run 3 make-up labs...but definitely doubting that it would since the snow was predicted to continue through the night.
The next 15 cm fell before 9 pm and luckily the storm abated with 15 cm to spare. However, my head cold raged on. I slept for a total of 3.5 hours the whole night and woke up to this amazing sunrise!
Luckily, the University was open on Thursday and I only had to run one make-up lab that evening. After 6 hours of teaching and only 3.5 hours sleep, I was happy to come home to a delicious dinner (thanks Diego!) and a cozy bed. After 12 hours sleep, I feel refreshed and am happy that today is a University holiday! Today was supposed to be a day to work on my thesis but I think it will be a day of rest and taking care of my cold.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. So much snow! So sorry about your cold, rest is a good thing. How thoughtful of Diego to have dinner ready. Get well soon! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope that cold gets out of your head soon :-) My brother lives in Dartmouth and he says it's the most snow he's seen in a while. We did'nt get what they were forecasting for us here on the south western tip of the province; lucky us. If we get any more I don't know where we'll put it. Today was so nice and sunny but the snow is starting to come down as I'm typing this. Stay warm and get plenty of rest.

    ReplyDelete