Thursday, January 22, 2009

My two most comforting habits!

Today as part of comfort week we are supposed to share a habit or behaviour that gives us comfort. I have two that I want to share.

Whenever Diego and I walk somewhere together we always hold hands (awwww!). I love holding his hand and I always reach for it when we step off the stoop in the morning to walk to work, or the moment we are shoulder to shoulder strolling down the halls of the University. I always hold his hand in a movie theater or if we are standing/sitting next to each other at a party. I always reach out for it and only realize it after I have his hand firmly in my grasp. I love the warmth of his hands and feeling his fingers our fingers entwined. It is reassuring, warm, calming and comfortable. Sometimes I can feel his pulse in his fingers, so close and so intimate.

The other of course has to do with water...who would have thought! I find my daily swim very comforting. I try to go in the middle of the day when my brain needs a rest. Sitting in front of a computer all day is really hard on the body and mind! It all begins with sliding on my dolphin print swimsuit. I reach the side of the pool and the anticipation of the shock of the cold water makes me a little hesitant but I dive in knowing that it is my refuge, my sanctuary. As I glide through the water in a world of silence I am only aware of the rhythm of my breathing and the beating of my heart. I focus on making myself as streamlined as possible to move through the water with the least resistance. I feel the stress slide off my body and imagine it swirling in the wake behind me. I immerse myself completely into this liquid medium and concentrate on feeling every stroke, the movement of my muscles, willing them to work and relax all at once. I feel free and I feel good. I can now go back and face my computer once again with a fresh mind and body.

If you want to check out other comforting habits click here.

5 comments:

  1. I love the hand holding. Thats very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have reminded me that I should swim in the winter. It is about as close to that flying feeling as I will ever get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time I held my husband's hand. :( You've reminded me to try a little harder to do those little but oh-so-important things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of this post - the holding hands. That's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't decide what I want to do more - go hold my husband's hand or jump in a pool!

    ReplyDelete